Level: Blue - Moderate
Any bike | GPX Route | Traffic-free | Cycle paths & trails | Some hills | 30 miles | 3 to 5 hours
If you’ve ever wanted to try a bit of the is ‘gravel’ riding stuff everyone is raving about, here’s a jolly intro adventure to try out on Sunday. The area with its quiet country lanes will be well known to local South London club riders, however, I’m sure few of you realise the area is riddled with a labyrinth of bridleways and cyclable paths.
Any questions? have a look at our FAQ's or Contact us
So, try this route, it's non-technical and can be ridden on pretty much any bike, gravel, cx, MTB, hybrid even, on the proviso it remains dry, on a road bike – just leave the carbon wheels at home.
At 30 miles/50kms with about 2100 ft or 650m of climbing, I’d expect a reasonable fit and competent’ish rider to complete the route in about 3 to 4 hours.
Go on, have a go, see what all this gravel fuss is about!
Start and End Points
Start Point: Dulwich Park
End point: Herne Hill Velodrome
- Distance: 50km | 30 miles
- Climb: 650m | 2100 ft
- Percentage off-road: 50%
- Trail surface: Natural |Gravel |Woodland Single Track
- Duration: 4 - 5 hours.
- Estimated average speed: 6/8 mph.
- Trails: Sections of natural trail combined with compact gravel and cycle paths and quiet roads.
- Technical Grade: Blue – well at the redder end of the blue grade – still a relaxed ride taken at an easy pace, with loads of opportunity to practise MTB/off-road riding skills.
Places to eat
13.5 miles: The White Bear
11.5 miles Franks Café, Unit 2, Vulcan Way CR0 9UG
Is this ride for me?
Ideal intro for fitter riders who want to experience Gravel cycling.
Is my bike OK for this ride?
You can do this on a hybrid bike or even a road bike, however, it's more fun when ridden on an MTB or other Gravel/CX bike.