Ride Level: Easy
Any bike | Fully Guided | Traffic-free | Cycle paths | Mainly flat | 15 miles | All-day
RESERVE A PLACE ON OUR RIDES CALENDAR
What can be more rewarding than visiting an organic lavender farm by bike or as some wit put it, the only time you return smelling sweeter than when you left?
Mayfield Lavender Farm in the summer is, well, just gorgeous, magnificently beautiful and smells divine.
Simply a great day out for all the family.
Any questions? have a look at our FAQ's or Contact us
Meeting at the Estate Office Coffee on Greyhound Lane (nearest Stations – Streatham Common (Southern Trains) or Streatham (Southern and Thameslink) the route follows quiet roads to Mitcham Common.
Crossing the Common riding through the Beddington nature reserve, home of rare tree sparrow en route to Carshalton Park with its 17th century Grotto and canal. Finally weaving our way through Oaks Park woods to arrive at the Lavender Farm.
There is oodles of time to explore this amazing farm, where, on a warm summer day you could imagine yourself in Provence! Join a tractor tour of the fields, have an alfresco lunch or simply wander in the fields …
When everyone’s sated and smelling sweetly, we retrace our route back to Streatham Vale.
Estate Office Coffee, 4 Greyhound Lane, London, SW16 5SD
- Duration: All day hours.
- Distance: 8 miles each way.
- Estimated average speed: 5 mph.
- Trails: Mostly off-road on hard-packed gravel interspaced with traffic-free cycle paths and quiet roads.
- Technical Grade: Easy - no long hills or technical sections.
- Relaxed ride with minimal hills suitable for novices or near novices.
- Group Size: 10 people.
- Alfresco lunch at the Lavender Farm (cost of refreshments is not included in the ride).
Is this ride for me?
Relaxed ride suitable for novices, families with children over 12 and experienced riders looking for a relaxed day out.
This is an approachable ride with few hills or tricky bits. You need to be able to ride at a gentle pace for a few hours.
The pace of the ride will be adapted to suit the cyclists on the day and the route may change to meet the capabilities of the group as a whole. The leader will make sure that no one is left out or behind!
Is my bike OK for this ride?
The ride is suitable for most types of bikes, including hybrids.
There will be a basic bike check before each ride to ensure riders' safety, so please make sure your bike is in good condition with working brakes and gears, along with pumped up tyres and an oiled chain.
If in doubt, please get your bike checked over by a competent mechanic or bike shop before the ride. Here is a list of local bike shops we're happy to recommend.
Remember to plan ahead, many bike shops are very busy and service slots are often booked out in advance.
What do I need to bring?
- Helmet (wearing helmets is a must on our rides)
- Spare inner tube
- Rain jacket (if required)
- Suitably warm/cool clothing for the weather
- Sunscreen (as necessary)
What's included in the price?
- Guide for the entire ride
- Entry to the farm
- Coaching hints and skill tips about 'off road' cycling
- Pre-ride bike and helmet safety checks
- Fixing mechanical faults/punctures where possible