Ride Level: Difficult
MTB/CX/Gravel Bike | Fully Guided | Trails & single track | Hills | 44 miles | 5 to 6 hours
RESERVE A PLACE ON OUR RIDES CALENDAR
Esher, Claygate, Banstead and Carshalton, places that certainly don’t conjure vast vistas of open countryside, yet here’s a gravel ride through the heart of suburbia connecting towpaths, wild sandy commons, woodland and open chalk heathland. On this ride, it’s easy to forget that you’re still within the M25!
Any questions? have a look at our FAQ's or Contact us
Meeting at the Labaita Café by the bandstand on Clapham Common, the ride park hops it’s way to Wimbledon Common, past the windmill and down across Beverly Brook and into Richmond Park.
Crossing the Thames at Richmond, we follow the towpath around to Hampton Court with glorious views of the recently restored Privy Gardens. Then crossing back at Molesey, we are on the tarmac for a few miles before reaching sandy Esher Common and we’re pretty much solidly off-road to Epsom, where we stop for a break.
Climbing the Downs to the racecourse, we wind our way across to Burgh Heath and Banstead Commons before descending into the Wandle Valley past Carshalton with its Grotto and canal, the bird lands of Beddington Lanes and ponds of Mitcham, before arriving back on Clapham Common.
Labaita Caféby by the Clapham Common Bandstand. Windmill Dr, Clapham Common, London SW4 9DE
- Duration: 5-6 hours.
- Distance: 70 km (44 miles).
- Estimated average speed: 12kmph.
- Trails: Mostly off-road trails with natural surfaces, small rocks and roots. Several climbs on grass sections
- Technical Grade: Red - taken at a sensible pace these rides are a moderately intense physical
- Group Size: 8 people.
- A refreshment stop mid-way (cost of refreshments is not included in the ride).
Is this ride for me?
Taken at a sensible pace this ride is a moderately intense physical challenge suitable for reasonably fit riders with minimal off-road experience.
The pace of the ride will be adapted to suit the cyclists on the day and the route may change to meet the capabilities of the group as a whole, the leader will make sure that no one is left out or behind!
Is my bike OK for this ride?
The ride is suitable for all Gravel, CX or MTBs.
There will be a basic bike check before each ride to ensure riders' safety, so please make sure your bike is in good condition with working brakes and gears, along with pumped up tyres and an oiled chain.
If in doubt, please get your bike checked over by a competent mechanic or bike shop before the ride. Here is a list of local bike shops we're happy to recommend.
Remember to plan ahead, many bike shops are very busy and service slots are often booked out in advance.
What do I need to bring?
- Helmet (wearing helmets is a must on our rides)
- Spare inner tube
- Snacks and Water
- Rain jacket (if required)
- Suitably warm/cool clothing for the weather
- Sunscreen (as necessary)
What's included in the price?
- Guide for the entire ride
- Coaching hints and skill tips about 'off road' cycling
- Pre-ride bike and helmet safety checks
- Fixing mechanical faults/punctures where possible