Ride Level: Difficult
MTB/CX/Gravel Bike | Fully Guided | Trails & single track | Hills | 47 miles | 5 to 6 hours
RESERVE A PLACE ON OUR RIDES CALENDAR
The countryside close to London is constantly surprising, you never know what you’ll see next; but I admit, Peter Rabbit’s Post Office was truly unexpected! Nestled in woods on the Greensand Ridge, we reach this adorable eccentricity via a network of linked bridleways and byways.
Any questions? have a look at our FAQ's or Contact us
Meet at Four Boroughs Cafe in Crystal Palace, before leaving through the woodlands and down past the old Surrey Canal Reservoirs, winding through suburbia before heading off-road near Bethlem.
It’s a mixture of woodland and fields as we climb steadily, a quick gravelly descent at Slines Oak before the grassy steady climb to the North Downs Ridge.
Taking the old Drovers Road down, we skirt Limpsfield and head into the woods to post our letters. Job done, the route follows the woodland of the Greensand ridge where we’ll stop for a breather in Tandridge.
Continuing along the Greensand ridge for a few more miles before striking north, past the massive sandpits and up the North Downs on a steady climb through the yew woods to Pilgrims Way.
From the ridge, we drop down through Happy Valley to Coulsdon before following a series of bridleways making tracks back to Streatham Common and back to Crystal Palace.
Four Boroughs, 10 Church Rd, Upper Norwood, London SE19 2ET
- Duration: 5-6 hours.
- Distance: 74 km (47 miles).
- Estimated average speed: 12kmph.
- Trails: Mostly off-road trails with natural surfaces, small rocks and roots. Several climbs on grass sections
- Technical Grade: Red - taken at a sensible pace these rides are a moderately intense physical
- Group Size: 8 people.
- A refreshment stop mid-way (cost of refreshments is not included in the ride).
Is this ride for me?
Taken at a sensible pace these rides are a moderately intense physical challenge suitable for reasonably fit riders with minimal off-road experience.
The pace of the ride will be adapted to suit the cyclists on the day and the route may change to meet the capabilities of the group as a whole, the leader will make sure that no one is left out or behind!
Is my bike OK for this ride?
The ride is suitable for all Gravel, CX or MTB's
There will be a basic bike check before each ride to ensure riders' safety, so please make sure your bike is in good condition with working brakes and gears, along with pumped up tyres and an oiled chain.
If in doubt, please get your bike checked over by a competent mechanic or bike shop before the ride. Here is a list of local bike shops we're happy to recommend.
Remember to plan ahead, many bike shops are very busy and service slots are often booked out in advance.
What do I need to bring?
- Helmet (wearing helmets is a must on our rides)
- Spare inner tube
- Snacks and Water
- Rain jacket (if required)
- Suitably warm/cool clothing for the weather
- Sunscreen (as necessary)
What's included in the price?
- Guide for the entire ride
- Coaching hints and skill tips about 'off road' cycling
- Pre-ride bike and helmet safety checks
- Fixing mechanical faults/punctures where possible