Ride Level: Moderate
Any bike | Fully Guided | Traffic-free | Cycle paths & trails | Some hills | 20 miles | 4 to 5 hours
RESERVE A PLACE ON OUR RIDES CALENDAR
An opportunity to discover the surprisingly large swathes of stunning countryside and downland situated right on your doorstep in Bromley. Yup, that’s right, explore rural Bromley!
Any questions? have a look at our FAQ's or Contact us
In a parallel cycling universe, there are several famous meeting points across London and our ride starts at one of them, the Café Paradou in Crystal Palace. Nothing better than a pick-me-up coffee on the terrace before heading off.
The ride ‘park hops’ its way towards Coney Hall (not a single building, but an area) where we leave suburbia behind and wind along woodland corridors and past the Medieval fishponds of Keston Common. Crossing Jackass Lane, we take the old bridleway over Mullocks Bottom, past chalkland hillsides in the distance, to Jewels Wood. A short section of Roman road then brings us to New Addington and time for a quick break at Stan’s Café.
Through ribbons of wooded paths and hidden tracks we follow a leafy ride back until amazingly, we pop out of the undergrowth in the middle of suburbia near Bethlem Hospital. From here, linking patches of woodland, commons and park lead us back to Crystal Palace.
Café Paradou, 10 Crystal Palace Parade, Upper Norwood, SE19 1UA
- Duration: 4 - 5 hours.
- Distance: 20 miles.
- Estimated average speed: 6/8 mph.
- Trails: Predominately off-road with sections of natural trail combined with compact gravel and cycle paths and quiet roads.
- Technical Grade: Blue – a relaxed ride taken at an easy pace, with loads of opportunity to practise MTB/off-road riding skills.
- Group Size: 8 people.
- A refreshment stop mid-way (cost of refreshments is not included in the ride).
Is this ride for me?
Taken at a relaxed pace this is a true off-road ride suitable for competent riders with reasonable fitness looking to progress their all-terrain riding ability.
The pace of the ride will be adapted to suit the cyclists on the day and the route may change to meet the capabilities of the group as a whole, the leader will make sure that no one is left out or behind!
Is my bike OK for this ride?
You can do this on a hybrid bike however it's more fun when ridden on an MTB or other Gravel/CX bike.
There will be a basic bike check before each ride to ensure riders' safety, so please make sure your bike is in good condition with working brakes and gears, along with pumped up tyres and an oiled chain.
If in doubt, please get your bike checked over by a competent mechanic or bike shop before the ride. Here is a list of local bike shops we're happy to recommend.
Remember to plan ahead, many bike shops are very busy and service slots are often booked out in advance.
What do I need to bring?
- Helmet (wearing helmets is a must on our rides)
- Spare inner tube
- Rain jacket (if required)
- Suitably warm/cool clothing for the weather
- Sunscreen (as necessary)
The leader will have supplies of Charlie's homemade fudge and flapjacks to keep you going during the adventure, however, if you have any food allergies or dietary requirements please bring your own snacks.
What's included in the price?
- Guide for the entire ride
- Coaching hints and skill tips about 'off road' cycling
- Pre-ride bike and helmet safety checks
- Fixing mechanical faults/punctures where possible
- Charlie's famous homemade fudge and flapjacks to power you along