Ride Level: Green
Any bike | Fully Guided | Traffic-free | Cycle paths and trails | Mainly flat | 15 miles | 3 to 4 hours
RESERVE A PLACE ON OUR RIDES CALENDAR
Discover the wild side of West London on a gentle ride linking parks and commons, past deer and windmills, then back along the riverside.
Any questions? have a look at our FAQ's or Contact us
The ride starts from the café by the Bandstand on Clapham Common, following quiet roads linking Clapham and Wandsworth Common as we hop from one green space to another, to Wimbledon Common. Frankly, you’re more likely to spot the fully working windmill on the Common than a Womble, but one lives in hope!
Crossing Beverly Brook, we’ll enter Richmond Park with its herds of deer and vast open spaces, looking back to classic views of the London skyline, just to remind you where you are! Then we head down to Ham Common, past some of the most beautiful early Georgian architecture and join the Thames towpath through the water meadows before stopping for refreshments on the river terraces at Richmond. We continue downstream following the traditional boat race route at Chiswick and on to the reaches of Putney.
From Putney, it gets a bit urban. We park hop across the Wandle delta, past the new developments in Wandsworth before taking a sneaky set of quiet ways back up to Clapham Common.
Labaita Bandstand Cafe - Clapham Common
- Duration: 3 - 4 hours.
- Distance: 15 miles.
- Estimated average speed: 5 mph.
- Trails: Mostly off-road on hard-packed gravel interspaced with traffic-free cycle paths and quiet roads.
- Technical Grade: Easy - no long hills or technical sections.
- Relaxed ride with minimal hills suitable for novices or near novices.
- Group Size: 10 people.
- A refreshment stop mid-way (cost of refreshments is not included in the ride).
Is this ride for me?
This is an approachable ride ideal for novice riders. You need to be able to ride at a gentle pace for a few hours.
The pace of the ride will be adapted to suit the cyclists on the day and the route may change to meet the capabilities of the group as a whole The leader will make sure that no one is left out or behind!
Is my bike OK for this ride?
The ride is suitable for most types of bikes, including hybrids and folding bikes.
There will be a basic bike check before each ride to ensure riders' safety, so please make sure your bike is in good condition with working brakes and gears, along with pumped up tyres and an oiled chain.
If in doubt, please get your bike checked over by a competent mechanic or bike shop before the ride. Here is a list of local bike shops we're happy to recommend.
Remember to plan ahead, many bike shops are very busy and service slots are often booked out in advance.
What do I need to bring?
- Helmet (wearing helmets is a must on our rides)
- Spare inner tube
- Rain jacket (if required)
- Suitably warm/cool clothing for the weather
- Sunscreen (as necessary)
The leader will have supplies of homemade fudge and flapjacks to keep you going during the adventure, however, if you have any food allergies or dietary requirements please bring your own snacks.
What's included in the price?
- Guide for the entire ride
- Coaching hints and skill tips about 'off road' cycling
- Pre-ride bike and helmet safety checks
- Fixing mechanical faults/punctures where possible
- Charlie's famous homemade fudge and flapjacks to power you along