Ride Level: Moderate
Any bike | Fully Guided | Traffic-free | Cycle paths & trails | Some hills | 20 miles | 4 to 5 hours
RESERVE A PLACE ON OUR RIDES CALENDAR
More of a workout than other Blue rides. this route links some remarkable hidden greenways from the Addington Hills, Selsdon Woods and Fickleshole hamlet. Taking in a wide variety of trail surfaces and a few hills, it is an excellent opportunity to learn/practise some basic bike riding skills.
Any questions? have a look at our FAQ's or Contact us
After meeting on the terrace of Café Paradou, we quickly leave the roads behind descending through the woods past the old Surrey canal reservoirs at South Norwood. Hopping from park to park, we make our way to Addington Heights and the viewing point over the ‘Croy-hatten’ skyline. Back into the woodland trails to the Harry Potteresque sounding hamlet of Fickleshole for a lunch break at the 16th Century White Bear Pub.
Suitably refreshed, we return to Crystal Palace along a thread of woodland, popping out at Bedlam to follow the River Beck, past Elmer’s End (who WAS Elmer?) before climbing back up to Crystal Palace past the infamous dinosaurs and the forlorn Sphinx.
Café Paradou, 10 Crystal Palace Parade, Upper Norwood, SE19 1UA
- Duration: 4 - 5 hours.
- Distance: 20 miles.
- Estimated average speed: 6/8 mph.
- Trails: Predominately off-road with sections of natural trail combined with compact gravel and cycle paths and quiet roads.
- Technical Grade: Blue – well at the redder end of the blue grade – still a relaxed ride taken at an easy pace, with loads of opportunity to practise MTB/off-road riding skills.
- Group Size: 8 people.
- A refreshment stop mid-way (cost of refreshments is not included in the ride).
Is this ride for me?
Taken at a relaxed pace this is a true off-road ride suitable for competent riders with reasonable fitness looking to progress their all-terrain riding ability.
The pace of the ride will be adapted to suit the cyclists on the day and the route may change to meet the capabilities of the group as a whole, the leader will make sure that no one is left out or behind!
Is my bike OK for this ride?
You can do this on a hybrid bike however it's more fun when ridden on an MTB or other Gravel/CX bike.
There will be a basic bike check before each ride to ensure riders' safety, so please make sure your bike is in good condition with working brakes and gears, along with pumped up tyres and an oiled chain.
If in doubt, please get your bike checked over by a competent mechanic or bike shop before the ride. Here is a list of local bike shops we're happy to recommend.
Remember to plan ahead, many bike shops are very busy and service slots are often booked out in advance.
What do I need to bring?
- Helmet (wearing helmets is a must on our rides)
- Spare inner tube
- Rain jacket (if required)
- Suitably warm/cool clothing for the weather
- Sunscreen (as necessary)
The leader will have supplies of Charlie's homemade fudge and flapjacks to keep you going during the adventure, however, if you have any food allergies or dietary requirements please bring your own snacks.
What's included in the price?
- Guide for the entire ride
- Coaching hints and skill tips about 'off road' cycling
- Pre-ride bike and helmet safety checks
- Fixing mechanical faults/punctures where possible